Sunday, August 26, 2012

Welcome to English 101


After a summer filled with inspiration and an upgrade in my technology skills, I'm trying something new.  We'll be focusing most, if not all, of our assignments this semester on the theme of art  -- but I promise that it will be very broadly defined, meaning that there will be lots of room for interpretation, and I'm open and eager to hear all your ideas on how you might stretch the theme to write about topics you are passionate about. Along the way you will write a personal narrative, a review, an analysis of a print ad and a research paper, and at the end of the semester, you will create an eportfolio as a culminating activitity for the course.

Our class blog here is multi-purpose.  1) It will serve as the platform for your public journal entries -- journals that anyone on the web can read, and journals to which your classmates, specifically, will post responses. Yes, you will be graded (privately) on your ability to write relevant and thoughtful entries -- more on that in the syllabus -- but I'm also excited to try writing in a more public setting. 2)  This blog will also serve as a place to post questions about assignments or the course and to share information and inspiration.

Our class does not meet until September 18th, but I will send you the link to this blog earlier, so you can bookmark it and be on the lookout for information.  I'm also going to post the first assignment below.  If you're feeling adventurous and ready to go -- get started! It's both your first journal post and a getting-to-know-you activity. I'm looking forward to meeting you!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment